Beet muffins stuffed with Pecorino Toscano PDO and decorated with beet hummus
for 12 muffins
- 2/3 cup (100 g) beet puree (cooked or raw),
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole milk,
- 1 beaten egg,
- 2 ¾ cup (275 grams) unbleached flour,
- 1 tablespoon baking powder,
- ½ cup (50 grams) Pecorino Toscano PDO,
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup (150 g) chickpeas (cooked),
- 80 g beetroot (precooked, vacuum),
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) grated Pecorino Toscano PDO,
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
For 12 muffins
Clean the beets with a damp cloth and cook in pan for 20 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the size of the beets. You can skip this paste, using pre-cooked beets. Blend the beetroot. In a kitchen robot, or with an electric mixer if you don’t have one, put the beet puree, add salt, pepper, beaten egg, flour, cheese, yeast, oil. Turn it on to low speed, add some milk a little at a time. Turn up to high until all the ingredients are well-mixed. Continue to knead the dough for 10 minutes. Fill the cups of a muffin pan until 3/4 full using an ice cream scoop. Bake at 375 °C (200 °C) for 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, then they’re ready. Allow to cool before decorating them.
Cut the beets into pieces. Put the beets, the drained chickpeas, and the pecorino cheese in a blender. Purée all the ingredients until wellblended. Add three tablespoons of oil and a drop of water until you get the consistency you want. Fill a pastry bag with the beet hummus. Carefully make a hole in each muffin and decorate it with beet hummus. Grate some Pecorino on the muffin to top it off.
Erica Zampieri from blog Sapori e dissapori
Read the original recipe on http://saporiedissaporifood.blogspot.it